Sunday, May 2, 2010

iPad: First Impressions

So, I obsessed, I got one. I've spent two days with it, and here's a mini-review:

Getting Started:
First of all, Apple sucks. They make great hardware, incredible hardware, mind-bending how much better it is than anything else hardware. Other than that, they suck. The first thing you'll find with your new iPad is that you'd better have a computer with iTunes handy, or else your shiny new device will be good for only two things: Functioning as a mirror, and skipping over a lake or other large body of water (it's flat on the top, round on the bottom). Yup, this affordable little device aimed at making your grandparent's web-surfing so much easier requires a "real" computer just to get started.

A Button:
Once you get the thing going, you'll notice there's really only one physical button, located at the bottom of the screen. This is the "home" button. There is no physical "back" button, "menu" button, or "search" button. That's all taken care of in the software, with buttons often placed at the TOP of the screen. Trying to get a little work done on the iPad requires quite a bit of (unnecessary) arm reaches. Top, bottom, top, bottom, bottom, top... I can cancel my gym membership now.

Music and More:
The iPad ships with iTunes, but, it ain't the same iTunes that runs on a real computer. iTunes on the iPad doesn't seem to actually play any of your downloaded music or video. Find a song, elect to download, and..... wait for..... I don't know... it ain't going to play for you. To do that, you have to close out the iTunes window (with the physical home button), locate and open the iPod application, then search for your music. Unless you're looking to play a video, in which case you open the iVid.... wait, no, it's just called Videos. For reasons unknown, they neglected to preface that one with an "i". Back forth, back forth. This is simple?

Applications:
The App Store is big! Real big! People must really like these Apple products because developers sure are working hard to create content for them. Working with the App Store is a little like the iTunes situation, with a few differences. If you choose to download an application, the system closes you out of the store, swings you over to one of several "home screens" and displays a nice progress bar as you watch your application download. But it doesn't actually start the application for you, you gotta do that manually, if you want. And if you want to download multiple applications, you gotta find the particular "home screen" with the application icon and restart it. Over and over for each app you want to download. Blech.

Web Browsing:
There is no Flash player. Enough said? Not really... some videos will show up on some web sites, which is fine. However, Flash does more, MUCH more, than just serve as a video player. Thanks, "the Steve". Furthermore, popup windows are totally whacked, and you shouldn't attempt to do more on Facebook than you do with your handset.

iBooks:
This, finally, is the reason I broke down and purchased the iPad. I have not yet been disappointed. I like to read. It's fun and relaxing! I own a Sony 505 reader and I have a few quick complaints: The contrast is terrible and page turns are maddeningly slow. The iPad kills the eInk readers on those two fronts, plus it offers quick searching and dictionary capabilities that simply can't be touched. I totally fell for the iBook app, and, following a few tangents, started researching the ePub format. I decided for the 816 class I would do my final "Professional Development" project on creating your own electronic book in the ePub format. Perhaps I was reaching (OK, I was reaching) but I have to demonstrate my completed ePub book on a shiny new device, don't I? Speaking of which, I need to get started on that project.


Creating:
I'll tell you right now I'm typing on a laptop... no way I'd attempt this on the iPad. Granted, I am missing a few fingers and one of my favorites is damaged to the point where I have very little dexterity, but still, how is a person supposed to type on an iPad?


Conclusion:
I can't wait for an Android tablet to hit the scene.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I can't edit this post on the iPad, so I'm adding a comment.

    I forgot to mention that text in browser is blurry, unless you zoom in. Which kinda defeats the purpose of all that extra screen real estate people are raving about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post about your experiences and opinions about the iPad. My husband will thank you for getting me to relax about wanting one so bad!
    Let's just hope I don't get too bored before the baby comes or I might get all pumped up to get one again... ;)

    ReplyDelete