Wednesday, May 26, 2010

iBooks

Ha! I finally got DRM-locked books I purchased from three separate sources (Sony/Borders, BooksOnBoard, and Barnes&Noble) unlocked and into Apples iBooks. Thank you, the internet, for connecting me with smart people who must have spent many hours creating the software and tutorials to make this happen.

Ironically, the most annoying part of the whole process was getting the newly DRM-free epub files onto the iPad and into iBooks. I tried to email the files to myself, but the iPad won't open them up (for unknown reasons). So I needed a current copy of iTunes because older versions won't recognize the iPad. Once I got that sorted out, I dug through my collection of cables looking for that magic proprietary thing the folks at Apple insist on using. No dice. I was at work and out of luck. I created the files during my lunch break, with left me two periods to circle around the room asking: do you have an iPod cable.... do you have an iPod cable.... do you have an iPod cable?

No dice... but when i got home I finally made it happen. Unfortunately, iTunes on a MacBook crashes if you try to drag a file from the desktop directly into the iPad... you have to put it in the library, and from the library you can put it onto the iPad. Whew.

Happy reading to me! iBooks is pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment